Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I'm a shadowboxer, baby...

This week, I'm fighting...with myself. I'm beating up on myself in quite a few ways, and probably have no reason to be doing so. Today has been a bit of a dark day, yet I'm trying to just push through so I can get to tomorrow.

But mostly, I'm fighting with myself about food. I drive home from work and want to stop - Taco Bell, Burger King, Reno's, Buffalo Wild Wings...they've all been trying to lure me with their deliciousness. This year, I'm trying to eat better and eat out less. Being on the road a lot, it's been far too easy for me in the last couple of years to just stop and pick something up for dinner.

So I find myself looking up a lot of restaurant nutrition and knowing what fits into what I should be eating. And it's not just about calories - there's cholesterol, sodium, protein and all that other fun stuff. And the portion sizes! I mean, really, this is all stuff that I knew and that we all know, but for some reason it's hitting me now.

However, on the flip side, I'm really trying not to get crazy like some people I've seen. I'm maybe trying to lose about 10 pounds and make sure I'm eating right for my half marathon training. It's all about baby steps for me - not losing 100 pounds in 3 months or some other not realistic time.

But, I'm still fighting. I almost stopped at Taco Bell on the way home from the gym tonight. I went to Reno's on Monday night to watch the football game and had a chicken fingers basket.

I like food. I like bad food. I am still drinking one 12 oz. Mountain Dew a day (this is down from my two 20 oz. bottles a day habit). I'm not perfect. I'll have a bad day. I'll give in to Taco Bell (I'm pretty sure this is going to happen in the ext three days). But in the process, I'll start eating better, feeling better and saving some money.

I hope.

2 comments:

Sariope said...

You can do it Angela! If you eat the junk food, just make sure you balance your other meals around it. You've got this. <3

Bish said...

Sometimes it's about making better choices at those places, too. If I know I'm going to eat out, I'm trying to journal my food beforehand. I figure if I have a plan, I'm more likely to follow it. You're doing great, by the way. Even my doctor said "Strive for being good 90% of the time." It's one time I can handle being an A- student :)