Monday, July 22, 2013

It's a baby - so what?

I am a self-proclaimed nerd (though I'm pretty sure my friends would back me up on that). Some of the news recently has irritated me, but I still try to read as much as I can.

Before I go into today's big news, here are some things to know about me:

- I love history (I have a shirt that says so)
- I am fascinated by the Kennedys (duh)
- I am fascinated by the British monarchy

Today, the big story was that Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge had gone into labor. Subsequently, it was announced that she and Prince William were the new parents to a baby boy (and future king).

After the news was announced, I saw a lot of comments about people not caring, putting the energy elsewhere, etc. I get that the monarchy isn't what it used to be (especially in the days of Henry VIII!), but to me, it's a fascinating tradition.

Well, here's the thing. It's a piece of history. It's more important than Kim and Kanye picking a ludicrous name. It's more important than who Snooki is dating. At least, that's how I look at it.

I've also seen comments about how it's another kid that will live in a palace and be spoiled. But the interesting thing about Prince William and his brother Prince Harry is that they have done a LOT for charity and also both serve in the British military. Yes, they may live in palaces and have anything they want, but they have also shown a good side.

This isn't to say that everyone should care about the details, but people should understand the context and place in history of this child, who is third in line to the throne.

And anyway, it's a bit of a bright spot for me today.

So - congratulations to Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge!

No comments: